Street Art Ink: From the Body to the Wall explores the intersection of tattoo and mural art. Denver...
Top Colorado Winter Sports Events
Top Colorado winter sports events encompass speed, carnage, adventure, freezing weather, aerial feats of magic and pure athleticism. Competing in Colorado winter sports events requires grit and sometimes a few loose screws. Top Colorado winter sports events take place on half-pipes, Nordic tracks, mountain slopes, ice covered lakes and mountain sides and snow covered bike trails. The winter season is jam packed with exciting Colorado winter sports events. Most of these are open to amateurs and some are more extreme than others. Below is EiC top picks of Colorado winter sports events that are unique to this state. They are extreme, wild and most of us would be better off being spectators than participants.
Iconic Top Colorado Winter Sports Events
- Ice Racing, Dec. 29-March 5, 2019. Georgetown Lake turns into an ice racetrack during the winter where Our Gang 4 Wheelers ice racing club has held their ice racing competition for the last 40 years. You can join in in or just watch for free.
- Cowboy Downhill, January 21, 2019 – Carnage is the best word to describe the Cowboy Downhill that has taken place in Steamboat for the last 40 years. It’s the brain child of ski champ Billy Kidd and world champion cowboy Larry Mahan.
- Ouray Ice Festival, January 24-27, 2019 – Ouray is the only place in Colorado that sports an honest to goodness ice park and in January they celebrate the sport of ice climbing with clinics, music, food, dance parties and of course the world’s best ice climbing talent competing for the prize.
- Fat Bike World Championships, January 23-27, 2019 – It was just a matter of time before the newest craze on two wheels has a world championship and there’s no better place to hold it than Crested Butte, the adventure sports capital of the world.
- XGames, January 24-27, 2019 - You can always expect to see broken limbs, concussions and carnage at the greatest show on snow. In return, you’ll also see spectacular racing and gravity defying tricks on skis, snowboards and snowmobiles in the incredible setting of Aspen.
- Three Lakes Ice Fishing, January 25-27 – Ice fishing may not be as dangerous as some of the other competitions on this list, but the fishing does take place on the ice and there’s $18,000 in cash prizes. The 3 lakes located in Grand County are Lake Granby, Mountain Shadow Lake and Grand Lake.
- US Extreme Freeskiing Championships, February 8-10, 2019. This event brings together the top ranked freeride athletes from around the world to ski the extreme steep terrain at Crested Butte. What these guys do is freaky scary, death defying and majestic.
- Winter Park Resorts Uphill Battle, TBA This is the first uphill event at Winter Park where anyone can earn their turns by skinning up to Sunspot Lodge before skiing down to claim prizes for the best time.
- The Pabst Pond Hockey Tournament, February 15-17, 2019 - This was voted the best damn hockey tournament in the USA. The round robin tournament is open to all ability levels and thousands of hockey players from around the state and country show up to compete on North Pond Lake in Silverthorne, Summit County. Can you say old school?
- Wells Fargo Ski Cup, February 22-24, 2019 –The Wells Fargo Ski Cup is a snow sports competition for disabled skiers. The Paralympians focus on their abilities rather than their disabilities and their determination and ability to overcome their physical setbacks is inspiring and fun to watch
- Gothic Mountain Tour, February 23. 2019 – The back country race spans 5000 vertical feet in elevation over 22 miles.
- Ski Joring , March 1-3, 2019 – There are a few communities that have ski joring competitions in Colorado, but the granddaddy of them all has been around since 1949 and takes place the first weekend of March in downtown Leadville. Skijoring is a competition where a horse and a rider pull a skier as fast as they can through a course of jumps, gates and rings.
- Al Johnson Telemark Race, March 17, 2019 – It’s that place and a time where people do care if you tele. Racers dress in costume garb as they participate in this race that benefits the Crested Butte Avalanche Center and is held in memorial to mail man Al Johnson. In the late 1800s he carried 25 lb sacks of mail through the winter terrain of Gunnison Valley on skis. This race is more fun than extreme.
- Grand Traverse, March 28-30, 2019 – This event gets 5 stars on the stud meter. This back country ski race starts in Crested Butte at midnight and spans 12 to 18 hours and 40 miles over the Elk Mountains to destination Aspen.
- 30th Enduro, April 10, 2019 – This 10 hour race takes place on the Pail chair at A-Basin. Participants make laps up the Pali chair from 7am to 5pm. Entrance fee is $150 for the Pali Enduro and $100 for the Pail light (9am-4pm). Proceeds benefit a local family or community member in need. The completion of the Enduro is followed by a throw down Après ski party that can only be found at A-Basin.
Know top Colorado winter sports events that should be featured here. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Events this week in Colorado
The Dinner Detective eschews campy costumes and plots for an exciting evening of food-accompanied...
The 13th annual Boulder Holiday Gift Festival is Boulder’s biggest and best Holiday Shopping...