n this quirky coImedy by Will Eno, we meet Bob and Jennifer and their new neighbors, John and Pony...
Top Colorado Winter Sports Events
Top Colorado winter sports events encompass speed, carnage, adventure, freezing weather, aerial feats of magic and pure athleticism. Competing in Colorado winter sports events requires grit and sometimes a few loose screws. Top Colorado winter sports events take place on half-pipes, Nordic tracks, mountain slopes, ice covered lakes and mountain sides and snow covered bike trails. The winter season is jam packed with exciting Colorado winter sports events. Most of these are open to amateurs and some are more extreme than others. Below is EiC top picks of Colorado winter sports events that are unique to this state. They are extreme, wild and most of us would be better off being spectators than participants.
Iconic Top Colorado Winter Sports Events in 2020
- San Juan Skijoring and Beer Fest, Jan. 11-12, 2020. What make a ski joring competition better? A beer fest that goes along with it of course. The South Western corner of Colorado comes alive with ski joring at the Ouray Country Fairgrounds in Ridgway.
- Ice Racing, TBA. Georgetown Lake turns into an ice racetrack during the winter where Our Gang 4 Wheelers ice racing club has held their ice racing competition for the last 40 years. You can join in in or just watch for free.
- Cowboy Downhill, January 20, 2020 – Carnage is the best word to describe the Cowboy Downhill that has taken place in Steamboat for the last 40 years. It’s the brain child of ski champ Billy Kidd and world champion cowboy Larry Mahan.
- Ouray Ice Festival, January 23-26, 2020 – Ouray is the only place in Colorado that sports an honest to goodness ice park and in January they celebrate the sport of ice climbing with clinics, music, food, dance parties and of course the world’s best ice climbing talent competing for the prize.
- Fat Bike World Championships, January 24-26, 2020 – It was just a matter of time before the newest craze on two wheels has a world championship and there’s no better place to hold it than Crested Butte, the adventure sports capital of the world.
- Dew Tour, Feb. 6-9, 2020 - This year the Dew Tour moves to Copper Mountain. The World's best snowboarders and skiers compete in individual modified halfpipe, slopestyle and para snowboard competitions, along with Dew Tour’s signature Team Challenge competition and industry award shows, a special invitational competition and a calendar of fan-based activities including free concerts.
- XGames, January 23-23, 2020 - The greatest show on snow delivers broken limbs, concussions and carnage. There's also racing and gravity defying tricks on skis, snowboards and snowmobiles in the incredible setting of Aspen featuring great live concerts outside to boot.
- Three Lakes Ice Fishing, January 23-26, 2020 – Ice fishing may not be as dangerous as some of the other competitions on this list, but the fishing does take place on the ice and there’s $18,000 in cash prizes. The 3 lakes located in Grand County are Lake Granby, Mountain Shadow Lake and Grand Lake.
- The Pabst Pond Hockey Tournament, February 14-16, 2020 - This was voted the best damn hockey tournament in the USA. The round robin tournament is open to all ability levels and thousands of hockey players from around the state and country show up to compete on North Pond Lake in Silverthorne, Summit County. Can you say old school?
- Wells Fargo Ski Cup, February 21-23, 2020 –The Wells Fargo Ski Cup is a snow sports competition for disabled skiers. The Paralympians focus on their abilities rather than their disabilities and their determination and ability to overcome their physical setbacks is inspiring and fun to watch
- Gothic Mountain Tour, February 23. 2020 – The back country race spans 5000 vertical feet in elevation over 22 miles.
- Leadville Ski Joring, March 7-8, 2020– There are a few communities that have ski joring competitions in Colorado, but the granddaddy of them all has been around since 1949 and takes place the first weekend of March in downtown Leadville. Skijoring is a competition where a horse and a rider pull a skier as fast as they can through a course of jumps, gates and rings.
- Burton US Open, Feb. 24 - Feb. 29, 2020 - Vail hosts the best men and women snowboarders in the world competing in slopestyle and halfpipe events. There's also great concerts.
2020 U.S. National Snowshoe Championships, February 28 to March 1, Leadville. This course takes you through lush lodgepole pine forests with unparalleled views
- Al Johnson Telemark Race, TBA – It’s a place and time where people do care if you tele. Racers dress in costume garb as they participate in this race that benefits the Crested Butte Avalanche Center and is held in memorial to mail man Al Johnson. In the late 1800s he carried 25 lb sacks of mail through the winter terrain of Gunnison Valley on skis. This race is more fun than extreme.
- Grand Traverse, March 27-29, 2020 – This event gets 5 stars on the stud meter. This back country ski race starts in Crested Butte at midnight and spans 12 to 18 hours and 40 miles over the Elk Mountains to destination Aspen.
- 30th Enduro, TBA – This 10 hour race takes place on the Pail chair at A-Basin. Participants make laps up the Pali chair from 7am to 5pm. Entrance fee is $150 for the Pali Enduro and $100 for the Pail light (9am-4pm). Proceeds benefit a local family or community member in need. The completion of the Enduro is followed by a throw down Après ski party that can only be found at A-Basin.
Know top Colorado winter sports events that should be featured here. Send it to [email protected]
2019-20 Colorado Winter Guide
► Directory of Colorado Ski Resorts and Communities
Maps, lodging, unique characteristics, the best quick reviews of things to do and more
►Ski Area Opening Days
All it takes is snow
►Ski Area Closing Days
It is the saddest day, but at least you'll know when it's coming
► Top Winter Festivals in Colorado of 2019-20 Part I
EiC's picks of what's not to be missed
►The Bra Tree
How does that beautirful peice of cloth find its way to a tree?
►See All Upcoming Ski Resort Events
Events at all Colorado ski resorts by date
►Best Apres Ski - Happy Hours at Colorado's Ski Resorts
Apres Ski is just part of the deal
►Mountain Dining Adventures: Sleigh Ride, Ski Lift, Snowshoe, Ski and Hike to Dinner
Even dining in Colorado is an adventure
►The Best Time to Visit Breckenridge and Summit County
Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer have unique distractions and attractions for everyone
►Fabulously Famous Colorado Winter Holiday Events: Thanksgiving - Christmas - New Years Eve - Martin Luther King Weekend – Presidents Weekend - Mardi Gras - St. Patricks Day - Spring Break - Easter
►Enjoy the Front Range Before or After Heading Up: Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Pueblo
►Top Winter Sports Events - Colorado's Inconic Top Adventure Winter Sports Competitions
►Popular Colorado Winter Sports: Hockey, Ice Racing, Basketball, Football, Mountain Sports, Fat Bike, Snow Sports, Fishing (See the full Colorado Sports Guide)
►Activities and Things to do (besides skiing and snowboarding) - Sledding hills, Snowmobiling, Snowshoe, Ice Skating, Cross Country and Nordic Skiing, Dog Sledding, Concerts, Sports and more
►Top Colorado Live Music Bars in the Mountains
You don't have to curb your music fix when you live or visit Colorado mountiain resort towns
Events this week in Colorado
Destination Freedom- radio series presents in collaboration with El Centro Su Teatro November 5th...
Öngtupqa is a historically significant recording as it features the Hopi long Flute – a relatively...
We’ve all seen the movie and read the book! Now experience the train that takes you to meet Santa...
Fractal Tribe’s circus theatre production INaniMATE (a combination of ‘inmate’ and ‘animate’) is a...